Retained by the University of Idaho, both NBBJ and ZGA were chosen as associate firms to program, design and provide construction administration services for this $38 million, 215,000 sq. ft., 6 story office, classroom and laboratory building. The Idaho Water Center has since become a collaboration among government, business and higher education entities dedicated to research, scholarship and water policy service to Idaho and the nation.
Facilities include administrative offices, distance learning classrooms, laboratories, and a flume laboratory used for ecohydrology research.
Environmentally “Green” building design features were used in in order to further conserve water and energy.
Features such as:
- The use of geothermal water
- Cooling provided by 2 groundwater production and 2 separate reinjection wells
- High performance/energy efficient window glazing to reduce solar gain
- Indirect/direct light fixtures with motion sensors
- Exterior sun shading devices
- Drought-resistant landscape